Monday, March 09, 2009

A TomLucier.com crossover, because it's about Windsor music.

The response has been great to the last post.
It even sparked blog posts separate from this one, like on Chris White's (of CJAM) newish blog, Make The Road By Walking. Click on his show name to read his post. It was super informative, from a community radio perspective. VERY important.

To be clear, I think that ANY discussion is good, even if it doesn't match up with my own opinions.
And this is key.
We are meeting to discuss this further at Phog Lounge on Tuesday March 10th. It was supposed to be at The Fish Market, and follow The Last Trio's performance. However, The Last Trio has been moved to Phog Lounge, due to the taping of The Comic Book Syndicate at The Fish Market instead. I will be getting to Phog as close to 10pm as possible, but the meeting is set to happen around 10pm at Phog.

We'll be discussing all things distribution, and the future outlook of Windsor music (on a large scale) and how we can nudge that development as a dedicated group of creatives.

Speaking with Jamie Greer, who has a WICKED new blog up at www.jamiesgreer.blogspot.com we were both in the same head-space, agreeing that things are changing, and that we can either stick to the status quo, or change. And musicians can do this mutually exclusive of every other musician in the city or TOGETHER, with a mission to become a leader of alternate music distribution...through action, not discussion.

What Seas, What Shores popped in last night as well, and I threw this whole, "lose the CD" thing at them. Kyle Marchand just shook his head when talking about the bands' recent CD release. It seemed evident that they wish they had done it another way. I'm hoping he, or some of the band, will be at this discussion.

On the same eve, I tossed the topic at Stefan C. (Efan Music). He has a sweet blog going TOO! Yesssss. Here it is. Anyways, when I brought up the topic, he giggled. What was so funny? He told me that his next CD, which he has been planning, will not be on a CD! I was flabbergasted. This isn't a lost concept. Someone is already planning this. Fantastic.

To finish, I'd like to add some more insight.
Speaking to my sister-in-law, Lyn, she told me that everyone she sees in her travels (which is all over the United States - more than you or I would like) uses an iPod or MP3 player. They all use them. And I think this is the part that's lost on those apprehensive to jump into digital distribution with both feet. I have a sneaking suspicion that they do not own iPods, and thus, do not understand that CDs do not enter the equation. Forget the iPod. When phones (iPhone or other ubiquitous HANDHELD DEVICES) become the norm (3 years? Less?) people will not want CDs even more. They will want to come to shows, with MP3 players or phones, or hybrids, and plug-in to the band's computer, get the album, and get their personalized artwork (or whatever) and split.

Lyn made a great observation and suggestion. When CBC Radio 3 comes to have this show (in the summer? spring?) that a mobilization of Windsor musicians will have already needed to happen. If local performers can get "some" music together for digital distribution, the following would be possible. We can make a grand statement that anyone bringing MP3 players to the big event, will get a series of free samples (one or two songs per band) of Windsor bands/musicians in digital format- on the spot. It'd be an introduction to stuff that many Windsorites have NEVER heard before. I fully expect many unknowns to be at this large event, which I hope spans MANY venues on the big day.

CBC local wants to be on-hand for this celebration, and thus, aware of all things happening. CBC Radio 3 would be made FULLY aware of this groundbreaking offer we'd be making to all attendees of the event, and it would become national news upon its reporting. We could LEAD in a local movement to evolve our music citizenry. And it can only carry forward from there. It's a great idea! When Lyn said it, I said, "I'm blogging about this tonight."

Having one of these MP3 devices play so prominently, like SO MANY of us know, the CD has become bulky, a nuisance, and laughable as a medium for music. There's more dust on the CDs at Phog than stink in the bathrooms! Even Frank has an iPod!

Finally, I just can't believe the response I've gotten from musicians, and producers of music, telling me that this is an exciting prospect. And it's all yours Windsor! You can take it and run with it, and make something new. Make a name for music in Windsor unlike ANY class of musician has ever done before you.
Just an idea.

Let the comments fly.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At March 09, 2009 3:23 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I totally dig cds or records. The idea of a having a "music collection" - not just a lame library on my iTunes or some other media player, but the hard copy of music is what's it all about for me. Digital downloads are all fine and dandy - they're occasionally cheaper to buy, way cheaper to produce, and you can get download them at yout own convenience, but I really don't want to see the exstinction of cds and I think I speak for many music collectors. I have nearly 800 cds in my collection and about 100 records. I'll admitt, they sit on the shelves in my room and I have to dust them off every now and again but at least I'll always have them. My laptop crashed a couple months ago and it was the biggest hassle for me to contact iTunes and convince them to let me re-download my previous purchases for free (they usually don't do this unless you spend a reasonably large amount). But the biggest issue is spreading the word about new bands through downloads. It's way easier for me to drop some cds off at my buddies house and tell him to give them a listen, rather then convince him that he should pay 99 cents for a song he might not like. I've told so many of my pals about music through loaning cds because I'm positive they wouldn't take the time, or spend the money, to download the songs. So basically, I like the idea of having the download available to those who wish to use it but please don't abolish our physical copies of music.

 
At March 09, 2009 1:54 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also find that MP3's usually have lower quality than those of cd's and even records. Count me in as one wholies to have a collection of music other than a myriad of MP3's.

 
At March 09, 2009 3:59 p.m. , Blogger Terry Lusk said...

I used to love the idea of CDs (and before that, vinyl & cassettes). At one point, I had thousands. All arranged, alphabetically & prominently displayed in my basement. About 4 years ago, something changed. Getting an mp3 player, obviously, opened my mind to the idea of portable digital music. At that point, however, I was just ripping songs that I wanted to put on my player. The idea of replacing my CD collection was not yet fully formed.

The next step was to backup some of my shabbier CDs...I recognized that they would not be in playable condition forever. Pretty soon, however, I began to run out of space on my hard drive.

So I bought an external hard drive solely dedicated to music files. At first, my audiophile tendencies allowed me only to rip .wav files. After making but a small dent in my collection, however, I quickly abandoned the waves and settled on "CD quality" mp3's. I have sold (thanks to Dr. Disc & eBay) the majority of my collection...only about 200 remain. I thought that I would regret selling them all but I don't. Now, if something happens to my hard drive...THAT would be regrettable.

Something else; I still buy CD's. I just rip them and sell them right away. I detest iTunes. I don't like the player (I use Winamp for loading my iPod) and I don't like the buying experience. I imagine at some point, I will have to choose a digital retailer but that's still some time in the future. (Zunior.com anyone?)

Next step? Get one of those USB turntables and start ripping all the stuff I only have on vinyl.

 
At March 10, 2009 4:02 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this completely.
Especially when bands are really only selling cds at live performances. As much as I'd like to, I can't always make it to a live performance, and then I miss out on being able to listen to the band at all. If the music was available digitally I would actually be able to be a fan and contribute. Even with cds they get ruined or stolen but mp3s aren't stolen off of my computer and they don't get scratched.

At the same time I'm also a record collector and have TONS of vinyl sitting around. Yes I listen to them often, but I can't say it's not outdated and a bit of a pain in the ass. It's also hard to find bands and albums and songs I want on vinyl.
Maybe one day CDs will have the same magic as vinyl does now, but I think it's time to start considering other options that will make music more widely available to the public and a bit more, dare I say, convenient.

 
At March 10, 2009 7:59 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

....yikes!!!! scary, scary thoughts.....

 
At March 11, 2009 2:35 p.m. , Blogger Jamie Greer said...

I've just posted an entry about one of our ideas from last night on my Blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com